How do I register?
Click the registration button on this page and register.
Why become a fellow and take the exam?
Passing the Exam will be an additional qualification for you, which might be of use in your country.
Additionally, the Diploma will show your expertise, if you decide to work in a European country provided that you fulfil other necessary requirements. The exam is a prestigious qualification and will be a valuable addition to your CV.
Fellowship of the European Board of Surgery is a high honour, also recognised in other areas and specialities. The UEMS MIS Diploma is a special certificate, because it has been developed in cooperation with the European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES) and is therefore also accredited by this renowned European Society.
Successful EBSQ MIS Eligibility and Examination candidates are awarded the title “Fellow of the European Board of Surgery /MIS – F.E.B.S./MIS”.
The UEMS fellowship (F.E.B.S.) represents a high-level validated quality control process and reflects certain knowledges and skills of a candidate.
The title F.E.B.S./MIS determines, that the person successfully proved to have validated knowledges and skills, that in most cases by far exceed the requirements for the national CCSTs. The diploma allows him/her to successfully cover the broad field of MIS with respect to the actual standards according to the judging of the commission. Currently the qualification F.E.B.S./MIS has no automatic legal recognition in the E.U. or in any other country. Individual recognition of qualifications by the national authorities is supported by the EBSQ committee and the number of countries officially adopting the UEMS Board exam is continuously rising.
The fellowship does not implicate automatic allowance to work at own responsibility and does not automatically enhance participation in national social security systems of the E.U.
The future perspective of this European diploma is to been seen in standardization and accreditation of this important surgical field within Europe, supporting the harmonization process of medical education.
To apply for Eligibility the candidate must fulfil the following requirements:
- Eligibility for all exams run by the divisions of the European Board of Surgery is open for candidates trained in one of the 27 European Union countries, a UEMS country (Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) or an associated UEMS country or a country with UEMS observer status.
- Eligibility is also open to those candidates trained outside the UEMS-area provided that the Eligibility Committee is satisfied with the training and qualifications are equivalent.
- The candidate must be able to communicate in the English language. Examinations in the local national language(s) may be additionally provided at the discretion of the executive.
A national CCST (Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training) is mandatory.
- The candidate must provide a defined LogBook countersigned by an independent expert on every page.
The LogBook must include general information (surgeon, hospital)-
The content of the mandatory LogBook (minimum: 1000 credit points) is published in “MIS Surgery – Knowledge and Skills”.
- Online registration and upload of individual LogBooks and documents will be provided by clicking the registration button.
- Candidates have to be recommended by 2 independent experts. One of the experts must work in a different institution than the candidate.
- Candidates are required to pay the fees for Eligibility check (Euro 200,00) and – if accepted – a further fee of Euro 1.000,00 to cover the Examination to the EBSQ Administration Office.
- The Eligibility fee of Euro 200 is non-refundable in the event that a candidate is deemed ineligible or does not succeed in passing the Examination. In the event that a candidate has paid for the Examination and does not attend the examination, there will be no refund.
- Reapplication is possible for Eligibility and/or Examination.
Where can I find information about curriculum?
You can find it here: https://www.uemssurg.org/working-groups/minimal-invasive-surgery/syllabus-knowledge
and here: https://www.uemssurg.org/working-groups/minimal-invasive-surgery/syllabus-knowledge-and-skills
Where can I find more details about the exam?
Click the button below to read detailed information about how the exam is designed, how to take the exam and similar information.
I do not understand how to submit all eligibility documents
The first thing you do is to download the eligibility documents.
You can find the instruction for how to fill out the log-book here.
You can download
– log-book with endoscopy here.
– log-book without endoscopy here
You can download the document to be signed by 2 trainers here.
Update this document to the same one as in the registration page – that means with the countersignature of the director/chief. After that, you are required to complete the logbook and have them countersigned by your hospital executive/head of department and submit it together with other required documents.
Finally, just click on register at top of this page. The registration module will step by step ask you for information and the documents.
How do I prepare for the exam?
Part 1 of the Board Exam will be a Multiple Choice test, conducted online (date announced separately). You will be provided with the link and information on how to participate after the Eligibility check. There will be 100 MCQs with 1 best answer out of 4 or 5 provided answers (A positive or A negative type). Recommended study materials are published EAES consensus conferences on various MIS related procedures as well as the recently published Textbook „Surgical Principles of Minimally Invasive Procedures: Manual of the EAES“ (H. Jaap Bonjer, 2017).
Part 2 is an OSCE (objective structured clinical examination), divided into 2 parts. First, a Zoom Conference will be conducted with each candidate, where 3 clinical cases (MIS related) will be discussed. Secondly, a skills test on laparoscopy simulators will take place (planned at the Annual EAES Conference – dates announced separately).
Click here to read the full details about the exam.