How do I register?
Click the registration button on this page and register.
Why become a fellow and take the exam?
Passing the Exam will be an additional qualification for you, which might be of use in your country.
Additionally, the Diploma will show your expertise, if you decide to work in a European country provided that you fulfil other necessary requirements. The exam is a prestigious qualification and will be a valuable addition to your CV.
Fellowship of the European Board of Surgery is a high honour, also recognised in other areas and specialities. The UEMS MIS Diploma is a special certificate, because it has been developed in cooperation with the European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES) and is therefore also accredited by this renowned European Society.
Successful EBSQ MIS Eligibility and Examination candidates are awarded the title “Fellow of the European Board of Surgery /MIS – F.E.B.S./MIS”.
The UEMS fellowship (F.E.B.S.) represents a high-level validated quality control process and reflects certain knowledges and skills of a candidate.
The title F.E.B.S./MIS determines, that the person successfully proved to have validated knowledges and skills, that in most cases by far exceed the requirements for the national CCSTs. The diploma allows him/her to successfully cover the broad field of MIS with respect to the actual standards according to the judging of the commission. Currently the qualification F.E.B.S./MIS has no automatic legal recognition in the E.U. or in any other country. Individual recognition of qualifications by the national authorities is supported by the EBSQ committee and the number of countries officially adopting the UEMS Board exam is continuously rising.
The fellowship does not implicate automatic allowance to work at own responsibility and does not automatically enhance participation in national social security systems of the E.U.
The future perspective of this European diploma is to been seen in standardization and accreditation of this important surgical field within Europe, supporting the harmonization process of medical education.
To apply for Eligibility the candidate must fulfil the following requirements:
- Eligibility for all exams run by the divisions of the European Board of Surgery is open for candidates trained in one of the 27 European Union countries, a UEMS country (Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) or an associated UEMS country or a country with UEMS observer status.
- Eligibility for all exams run by the divisions of the European Board of Surgery is also open to those candidates trained outside the UEMS-area provided that the relevant division is satisfied with the training and qualifications are equivalent.
- The candidate must be able to communicate in the English language. Examinations in the local national language(s) will be additionally provided at the discretion of the executive.
A national CCST (Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training) is mandatory.
- The candidate must provide a defined LogBook countersigned by an independent expert on every page.
The LogBook must include general information (surgeon, hospital)-
The content of the mandatory LogBook (minimum: 1000 credit points) is published in “MIS Surgery – Knowledge and Skills”.
- Online registration and upload of individual LogBooks will be provided in the registration program, see registration.
- Candidates have to be recommended by 2 independent experts. One of the experts must work in a different institution than the candidate.
- Candidates are required to pay the fees for Eligibility (Euro 200,00) and – if accepted – a further Euro 1.000,00 to cover the Examination to the EBSQ Administration Office. The Eligibility sum is to cover the costs associated with the processing of returned application forms by the central EBSQ office and are non-refundable.
- All payments must be effected by the required deadlines and there are no refunds for (Eligibility) candidates who are deemed ineligible to sit for the EBSQ MIS examination or do not succeed in passing the Examination. In the event that a candidate has paid for the Examination and does not attend the examination, there will be no refund.
- Reapplication is possible for Eligibility and/or Examination.
Where can I find information about curriculum?
You can find it here: https://www.uemssurg.org/working-groups/minimal-invasive-surgery/syllabus-knowledge
and here: https://www.uemssurg.org/working-groups/minimal-invasive-surgery/syllabus-knowledge-and-skills
Where can I find more details about the exam?
Click the button below to read detailed information about how the exam is designed, how to take the exam and similar information.
I do not understand how to submit all eligibility documents
The first thing you do is to download the eligibility documents.
You can find the instruction for how to fill out the log-book here.
You can download
– log-book with endoscopy here.
– log-book without endoscopy here
You can download the document to be signed by 2 trainers here.
After that you have to fill in the documents (and logbooks), in some cases also have them countersigned.
Finally, just click on register at top of this page. The registration software will first ask you to create an exam account and will then step by step ask you for information and the documents.
Enter your answer to the question here. Make sure the writing is clear and concise, and helps visitors get the support they need in the most efficient way. Consider elaborating with examples or visual aids to ensure all users fully understand the information.
Click here to read the full details about the exam.