The European Association for Endoscopic Surgery (EAES) was founded in 1990 and since then has become a growing and dynamic organization that continues to play a leading role in Endoscopic Surgery and Allied Interventional Techniques. Aside from organizing annual Top Level European Congresses in different European countries, the EAES activities in education, training, research, development, and publication are effected through its various Committees.
- To promote high-level, safe, and cost effective minimally invasive treatment to patients in Europe and globally.
- To become the leading professional organization of MIS practitioners globally.
- To become an information hub for all practitioners of MIS
- To create a strong, engaged community of all caretakers involved in MIS.
The Executive Board
The Executive Board consists of 10 members, of which the President, the immediate Past President, the President Elect, the Secretary General, the Internal Auditor and the Treasurer, are responsible for the daily business of the association.
The President chairs the EAES Executive Meetings and the meetings of the Annual General Assembly in addition to representing the association to the outside world. The Secretary General is responsible for the administration and the Treasurer for all financial matters. The Internal Auditor provides an internal control system. These Board members fulfil their duties continuously throughout their term of office.
The Executive Board holds a meeting 3 times a year; this meeting will be guided by the President. This Executive Board meeting is the decision making organ besides the General Assembly.
There are 4 EAES Committees but the Executive Board has the power to establish other Committees or to abandon existing Committee(s) depending on the needs of the association. The current EAES Committees are:
- Education & Training, including EAES sponsored and EAES endorsed courses as well as fellowships (subscription for 2016-2017 is open)
- Research (cluster studies, multicenter studies and clinical trials, grant activities)
- Technology (R&D in ergonomics, instrumentation, ancillary equipment, telerobotics and telecommunication)
- Journal & Publication (publication of EAES consensus conferences, EAES manual)
Chairpersons for each Committee will be appointed from the Executive Board. Each member of the Board without specific functions is entitled to chair one Committee. The Chairmen of the Committee calls for Committee meetings, sets up the agenda, and provides suggestions to be approved in the Executive Board meeting. Furthermore he decides who will attend, where and when a meeting will take place.
Journal Surgical Endoscopy
Its official journal Surgical Endoscopy, which is included in the membership subscription, now carries the highest impact factor of any surgical endoscopic journal and is ranked among the top 10 surgical journals overall irrespective of surgical specialty.